Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Geek Nail Challenge: TV and Movies


You know when you get really excited about doing something, and then when the time comes to do it you just draw a complete and total blank?

That was me this week.

Now don't get me wrong, I love all sorts of geeky shows and films--Joss Whedon can do no wrong in this house, and I love the comic book movies being made. When I manage to catch Big Bang Theory in the break room at work, it makes my day. But I just couldn't find a theme that felt right.

And then I had a Duh moment.

Because really, can you get any geekier than spaceships and Klingons?
I decided to go original Star Trek on this one, even though "my" Trek is actually Next Generation. I remember being in about third or fourth grade, sitting on the floor of our living room with my mom on the couch, both of us working on crochet projects during a cold, wet Ohio winter that made outside extremely unpleasant.
I am inordinately pleased with the way this came out. My roommate just rolled her eyes. I can't wait to show this off to a friend at work (who works at StarBase Columbus) and will properly appreciate it.

Colors used:
Red: Pure Ice "Siren"
Yellow: Sally Hansen Insta-Dri "lightening"
Blue: Essie "Smooth Sailing"
Black: Claire's Nail art pen
Topcoat: Seche Vite

Wondering why McCoy and Spock are wearing glitter? Mostly, it's because I can't find my go-to blue at the moment. But also, this is closer to the actual color of the costumes. And who doesn't get a giggle out of the idea of the two of them wearing glitter?

Yellow is Kirk, obviously.

Wondering who the Redshirts are?

Does it really matter? They won't be around for very long, anyway.

Live long and polish.




3 comments:

  1. Ha! I almost did some Star Trek nails - I was going to do it for the last week...guess I have to think of something else. I totally love that show - I watched it with my dad so much when I was growing up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can still do it--I'd love to see your take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I did a version too. I love your take on it and your Vulcan hand photo.

    ReplyDelete