Monday, August 20, 2012

Geek Nail Challenge: Games and Gaming


Well. I kind of fell off the blogging wagon the past couple of weeks, didn't I?

I've been working on several projects lately that are just not polish friendly, even with Seche Vite to speed things up (I'll have more about that on my personal blog in a couple of weeks). In addition, I've been having some nail problems. As I've mentioned before, I've been battling peeling nails all summer. I've tried vitamins, nail treatments, diet changes, everything I can think of. I've had a little bit of improvement, but I think that what they really need is to not be coated in varnish for a while, so I'm giving my nails a couple of days every week where they can breathe. I did find a base coat/treatment that seems to be working pretty well, but I want to give it another week or two before I talk about it, just to make sure it works in the long run. Hopefully, I can kick this soon. I miss my long nails!

This week's manicure is actually a redux of my very first nail art, the one that sent everything else downhill. Back then I was just fooling around with polishes and pens, I had a very limited pallet, and the idea of not flooding my cuticles was a foreign concept, but I had so much fun doing it and even though the white wasn't nearly as opaque as I wanted (that was about thirty layers with a Claire's Nail Art Pen, by the way), I was very pleased with it.

Colors Used:
White: Maybelline Color Show "Porcelain Party"
Yellow: Sally Hansen Insta-Dri "Lightening"
Blue: Sally Hansen Insta-Dri "Blue By"
Green: Sally Hansen Insta-Dri "Just in Lime"
Black: Claire's Nail Art Pen
Red: Pure Ice "Siren"

I started playing Mario when I was eight or ten on a black and white gameboy pocket that belonged to a friend, and have been hooked ever since. It is still not only my favorite game, but one of the few I actually play (other than Arctic Thunder, Mortal Kombat, and Twisted Metal). I actually have a collection of the candy tins you see around gaming stores and Hot Topic, but they are at my parent's house currently, since shelf space is at a premium in our place.
Can I just say that you ladies do awesome work? I am continually floored by the designs I've been seeing as part of this challenge. If you haven't yet, check out some of them below.




8 comments:

  1. Cool beans, I can feel you on the peeling. I am actually liking my nails short, it is easier to do full stamping plates, and I don't have to worry about breaking them. Can't wait to hear what you have been trying. Love the mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I generally don't keep my nails *that* long, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch beyond my finger tip at most. I really want to try stamping, but I haven't been able to get my hands on a kit yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great!! I was thinking of doing a Mario mani this week, but I came up with some other stuff...thanks for having this challenge, it's really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is just sooo cute! I love it! And I love your blog in general! And the theme of this challenge is great! I kind of do geek nails too, I do pokemon nail art! I just love this video game. I love mario too!!! (I play video games too often...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! I've been having a lot of fun with this one. I'm thinking that maybe it should be an annual event...

      Delete